Friday, June 28, 2013

Magnetic Loops

Time for another antenna project I think, but what to build?
Rummaging around the shed in the garden I noticed I have two 12' copper pipes roughly 1/2 inch diameter that have been sitting doing nothing for a number of years. Since they are not needed for plumbing I’m sure I can put them to good use.
I was thinking about making a small magnetic loop antenna, the measurements seem pretty straight forward  but at the moment I have little knowledge about what variable capacitor will be required and how it’s all connected up. I guess it’s a matter of searching the net and see what I can find.
A quick search has revealed a lot of theory but nothing substantial on building. I prefer something with pictures and an easy explanation to all the “geeky stuff” (not that I’m against it) it’s just I like to see everything laid out in front of me and easy to follow.
If I could build a reasonably small antenna hopefully that would fit in the attic it could turn out to be a fun experiment. Anybody who has details or knows of a website with fairly easy instructions I would be “mucho grateful” if they could let me know. In the meantime I can get on and figure out what band I want to use and see about measuring up the copper pipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment